Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Upcycling an old sweater into a shawl
I finally got around to doing something with the recycled yarn from my first thrift store sweater unraveling event.
The unravelling yielded a huge amount of apple green fingering weight yarn. Some of the yarn was sacrificed for the ill-fated Brickyard Bag (and Race fans - in case you missed it - that certain race car driver with the movie star wife for whom the bag was being designed - actually won the Indy 500 this year! Just think of the exposure if I actually could have gotten that darn design to work :})
OK - back to reality. I wanted to use the yarn to try out some different types of shawl constructions - top down, bottom up, side to side - but couldn't really see getting a lot of wear out of apple green wool shawls, or see them being lovingly received as gifts. So some over dying was in order. This was my first attempt - and I made a serendipitous mistake. I used Wilton's food coloring (the kind made for serious cake decorating) in the Delphinium Blue shade. I had four skeins, roughly the same size, to dye, so I tried to keep the amounts of dye consistent in each batch. I heated the dye bath and yarn on stove to just come to a boil and then turned it off and let it cool, as all the color had been absorbed. When I rinsed it, I realized that I did not get a consistent color across the skein; instead it was variegated with blue, teal, purple, with little splashes of magenta - like magic! The second skein was just a little lighter- more yarn I think, but I got the same variegation. By third batch I figured out that some of the icing colorant was sinking to the bottom of the pot and not mixing, causing the variegation. My own version of kettle dyeing.