Here are the stats -
2670 yards of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky (3.5 skeins green, 2 skeins grey, 14 skeins bare - hand dyed in various patterns to simulate the crowd)
Finished size 4.5’ x 7’
Modular construction technique - field and four sections of crowd were knit separately. Crowd sections attached to field with three needle bind off with ridge on right side to edge the field. I’ve honored our greatest rivals THE Ohio State Buckeyes by depicting them as the opposing team using grey and a touch of maroon in the away team bench and more grey and maroon in the away fan section. Apologies to all other Michigan rivals, especially the Michigan State Spartans and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Some other design features - i cord edging for stability; field knit in the round with a steek; crowd knit in garter; steek edges whipped down to provide a tidy back. No backing necessary.
So voting over on the Ravelry Project Yarnway Forum starts tomorrow and runs through September 15th.
Have to say that this was a lot of knitting to get done in the short time period - especially since most of the yarn had to be dyed during that time as well. Here are a few things I would do differently the next time:
1) finish all the field details (the M, end zone letters, yard line numbers, hash marks) before attaching the crowd sections. I didn't because I was afraid I wouldn't have enough time to do all those details and so saved them till last. But that meant that I couldn't use a sewing machine because I couldn't maneuver around all the blanket, so I was stuck sewing it all on by hand.
2) use one dye pattern consistently for the majority of the crowd - I experimented with different patterns for dyeing each skein as I went because, well, I had never knit a crowd before, and had no clue what would look best. So each section is like a giant swatch. I did keep good notes as I was dyeing, so now I know which dye patterns will work best (I think it's the lower side - which actually had a fair amount of black mixed in.)
I love the block M and the I-cord bind off around the edge.
Except for the pressure of the deadline - this project was a very easy, enjoyable knit. There was not one bit of purling in the whole thing, and the modular construction made it somewhat portable. Would I make another one - well, I've had a request for Hinkel Fieldhouse (home of the Butler Bulldogs) from someone in the family - so we'll see.